Monday, March 16, 2009

That Injury Inducing Dinner

I accidentally seared the palm of my hand while searing pork chops. Cooking - it's a dangerous activity. So while I'm sidelined from my kitchen for a bit while my burn blisters mellow into battle scars I can be proud of, let's recap the meal that incurred the damage. We wanted to make a low-key and delicious dinner which means for us... no recipes, no long hours of prep and actual cooking, and no days of brining. We decided to make pork chops a la NOPA with some red kale and an appetizer of fried chicken livers a la SPQR.
The prep for the chicken livers before frying. It was potato flour mixed with panko and finely chopped sage leaves, slat, and pepper. The livers were double dipped before frying. Oh, and we "washed" the livers with left over Chinese matou liqueur that we deemed too firewater-ish to drink to cleanse any stinkiness away.
The delcious fried result: livery goodness sprinkled with a bit of lemon juice!
Our beautiful kale before saute.
I soaked the pork chops in a can of apple cider for a bout 20 minutes before cooking.
The result: double thick pork chops pan seared and finished in the oven with a light sauce by deglazing the pan with a bit of Morgon and reduced with balsamic vinegar and honey. It was served on a bed of sauteed kale.

No comments: