Monday, March 9, 2009

My Own BNS

Due to the lack of good TW style BNS around and the torrents of rain lately, I decided to try my hand at making my own. Not bad, not bad at all. I could work on the broth next time as I took the lazy way out and used canned. But the meat I got down. The trick is to start with a whole beef banana shank. I cooked it for two hours on low heat with the following:
Water
Dark Soy
Shaoxing wine
5 spice powder
Salt
Ginger
Rock Sugar
Star anise
I then chilled the meat for easier slicing. The meat came out tender and full of flavour. It had the necessary fat, melted tendon, and meat composition. The noodles were fresh yang tsuen noodles I got from Ranch 99 in the refrigerated section. I took some of the stewing liquid to add to beef broth (canned), tossed in some sour pickled cabbage, and a little scallion on top.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You may want to try using the Wang brand of Korean noodles next time (Marina has them, and so did 99 in Foster City) next time, or An Tai's brand of Yi-Mien (Nantou style), that are also not bad.