Friday, August 17, 2007

XLB Fantasy Tide-Over

I was watching Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" a few weeks back when he went to Shanghai's Nanxiang Dumpling for xiao long bao (XLB). Those of us New Yorkers know them as soup dumplings a la Joe's Shanghai. Anyway, I got so-oooo hungry and desperate for XLBs. I have resolved now to try to make them at home. I am also wondering how Nanxiang stacks (pictured left) stacks up to the XLB orgasm that I experienced this srping during my visit to Taiwan. I would think that it would be better as Shanghai is the home of XLB. But then again, I also know that much of Chinese culinary expertise suffered in the mainlnad during the years of Communist depravation... so who knows....

My dream XLBs at Din Tai Fung in Taipei

I have been suffering so much from XLB lust that I needed to have a little tide-over. I had these at Shanghai Dumpling Shop in Milbrae. They look darker because we sprinkled the black vinegar o nthem already. They were jsut okya. Not enough soup in my opinion and the sking was kinda meh. Also, I learned that the Nanxiang version has 18 folds. This was more like 12.


No comments: