Friday, August 17, 2007

What is Shanghai Chicken???

Angeles and I were craving Americanized Chinese the other day and went to Eric's in Noe Valley to satisfy the craving. We ordered the "Shanghai Chicken". It's basically diced/cubed breast meat in a rich brown sauce with pine nuts and some fried seaweed mixed together. Pretty tasty and great with rice. But as far as I know, there is no *real* Shanghainese dish called "Shanghai Chicken." Anyone else know of such a dish?
I am guessing it is named like all other Chinese American dishes - meaning the name of a province tagged with a food. Examples are... Hunan Sauce, Szechuan Beef, Mongolian Beef, etc. I laugh everytime I see that on menus. It's like saying Iowa Sauce. But then again, I remember in diner menus in NYC, there were plenty of California xxxxx which usually meant the dish had avocados.

No comments: