Monday, June 9, 2008

BNS Love of My Bay Area Life

Beef noodle soup (BNS) Taiwaense style has been something I've looked for in the Bay Area. Last week, Wil and I stumbled upon a version that I LOVE. It has a multi-dimensional, anisey, slightly spicey, but not oily broth. Noodles that were la-mien style (ramen) with a lot of bite and toothsome even at the end after sokaing in the soup for a long time.The beef was the proper cut/mixture of lean, tendon, and fat cooked to melting perfection with not all the flavour spent like I frequently find elsewhere. A bit of bok choy and plenty of pickled vegetables.
This wonerful creation was found at random Asian dessert and cafe place in Millbrae called TMM Desserts. It's in a strip mall with the In' N'Out Burger and a car wash. If we hadn't gone in this strip mall we would have never seen it. There is no English signage. Just in Chinese. But it's in the corner next to the L&L Haiwaiian place. I asked the owner's aunt (our server) and she said they have been open for 8 months starting off as a tea and dessert place. They've now added a great variety of TW, HK snack / small eats type dishes. I asked aboutthe noodles and she said that they tried several vendors and found this one who finally made the noodles Q enough. I want to back to check out the rest of their extensive menu. I'm not a dessert person but their desserts looked good too.
My only sadness was as I am Miss Anti Noodle right now, I only took a couple bites of the noodle itself before pushing to rest to Wil. Believe me, it took ALL of my will power to do so!

No comments: