Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Do As the Romans...

The April issue of Saveur featured recipes from Rome. I was particularly inspired to try my hand at a genuine Roman Spaghetti alla Carbonara. of course as it was spring, I also wanted to add it a bit of the season to it. One weekend at the little Divisadero Farmer's Market the English peas looked particularly plump and fresh so I decided to buy a big bag of it. After and light steam and much peeling, the bag didn't yield that many peas. But never mind, they were very succulent and added just enough local perk to the dish. I followed the published recipe with pancetta from Cafe Rouge and fresh pasta from the Pasta Shop in Berkeley.
A quick toss in the still warm pan with the pancetta, egg, peas, and cheese mixture with a bit of pasta water thrown in.
The result was a rich yet fresh pasta that had us going for a second helping.

No comments: